Got Gossip?

Share your gossip!
Email us.

Subscribe

Add to My AOL

Subscribe in Bloglines

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Need More Gossip Fix?

Daily Celeb
Egotastic
E! Online
Entertainment Tonight
Gawker
Go Fug Yourself
I'm Not Obsessed
Malibu
Perez Hilton
Pink is the New Blog
Pop Sugar
Radar Online
SirLinksaLot: The Bachelor
Superficial Girls
The Superficial

Previous Posts

Cover Girl: Rachel McAdams on Elle Magazine
America's Next Top Model Disrespectful?
Vivica A. Fox - BUSTED!
The New Bachelor Declares His Love Already
Dancing with the Stars Week One
Tara Reid Opens Ketchup
Shanna and Travis are Back Together
John Popper Busted
Sarah Jessica Parker Goes Back to Work...
HBO's Extras is Dunzo

Archives

September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
March 2010

Contributors

Annie
Madison

Bloglighted Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Celebrities Blogs - Blog Top Sites

BlogRankers.com

Powered by Blogger

Official Celebrity Sites

Adam Sandler
Ashlee Simpson
Britney Spears
Brooke Burke
Carmen Electra
Christina Aguilera
Eva Longoria
Donald Trump
Gwen Stefani
Halle Berry
Jackie Chan
Janet Jackson
Jennifer Hudson
Jennifer Lopez
Jessica Biel
Jessica Simpson
Justin Timberlake
Kimberly Williams-Paisley
Nick Lachey
Madonna
Mandy Moore
Mandy Moore's MySpace
Mariah Carey
Marilyn Manson
Mario Lopez
Mariska Hargitay
Pamela Anderson
Paris Hilton
Paula Abdul
Rosie O'Donnell
Suzanne Somers
Shanna Moakler
Shanna Moakler's MySpace
Vanessa Minnillo
Wilmer Valderrama

Bed Bug

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Cover Girl: Mariska Hargitay on Gotham Magazine

Actress Mariska Hargitay is gracing the cover of the March issue of Gotham magazine. Mariska is known for many things ... her role on NBC's Law and Order: SVU, being mom to one-year-old son August, her famous parents (mom was Jayne Maynesfield and dad was Mickey Hargitay). She sat down with the magazine to dish on what's going on in her life.

GOTHAM: You just signed on to do two more years of Law & Order: SVU. Your fans were elated at the news. How did you feel about it?

Mariska Hargitay: Well, you know, I went back and forth. It was really nerve-wracking. I had my son at the beginning of our hiatus, but after three months I was ready to go back. I realized I wasn’t done, and that I loved the character so much.

G: You grew up in California, but does New York now feel like home?
MH: It does! We shoot at all of these fantastic locations, so I’ve gotten to know the city. Now every street I go on, I’m like, “We shot here.” And my husband is a walker, so when we dated, we walked everywhere—and I mean, 50 blocks. That was a big deal for me, coming from California, where we don’t walk anywhere. It was our courtship. For me, it was so romantic.

G: You were 42 when you got married. Why didn’t you marry in your 20s or 30s?
MH: I just wanted to be married once, and I wanted to be really ready. I had a shrink who told me, “You have to find out where you’re going, and then find somebody to go with you.” In my 20s I was changing so much. And maybe because I lost my mother at such a young age and have always suffered so much emotionally from that, being a mother was huge to me and I didn’t want to mess it up. I think I was just so scared of being a mom that I waited until I was ready. Now I think, Thank God. The day I met Peter, I was like, That’s my husband. I’ve always been a late bloomer, but it’s always worked out for me.

G: Are you anxious about balancing motherhood and a career?
MH: August comes to work with me every day. And I feel like I’m married to the greatest guy in the world—he’s just so supportive, he’s made it work. Peter comes to me on set on Friday night at six o’clock and we start our weekend, even if I’m at work until 3 A.M.

G: You had two celebrity parents—what insight did that give you regarding raising healthy kids in a star environment?
MH: I think the most important thing is to understand that everyone is the same. Everyone deserves to be treated respectfully. Sometimes celebrities are treated as though they’re special, but I think it’s important for kids to understand that it’s temporary, that you should never, ever, ever, ever take it for granted, and that you should give back as much as you get.

When I was growing up we traveled a lot, and one of the greatest things my parents did for me was take me to live with my Hungarian family. My parents showed us that the rest of the world doesn’t live like we do in America. That really stamped me as a kid. I was like, Why are we so lucky? Why do people let the water run when other people don’t have water? Children who see that at an early age have a different understanding of humanity. I’m going to do everything I can to show August that the way some of us live in this country is not the way the rest of the world lives.

G: We were sorry to learn that your father died in September. Has grieving been different than you anticipated?
MH: A little bit. My father was sick, he had cancer, so I did a lot of my grieving before he passed away. Without a doubt, it’s the most devastating thing that’s ever happened to me, but I will say [she pauses and begins to cry, then starts speaking again in a soft, high voice]… the one thing that’s different is that I know my dad is with me all the time, and that he did everything he set out to do, so I’m OK. If I can do half the job with August that he did with me, I’ll feel like such a good parent.

G: On your website, Mariska.com, you get your fans involved with nonprofit organizations supporting women, the environment, and the world’s poor. How did you manage to use your celebrity so constructively?
MH: People like cutters, bulimics, and motherless kids started writing to me, and I just thought, Thank God the kids who are the most difficult to reach trust me, that they think I’m cool enough to talk to. And so I wondered how I could help them have their own safe place, because that’s what I want for everyone—to feel safe. I see my celebrity as an opportunity to educate and bring people together... and I’m not done with that yet.

Photos from Gotham magazine.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home