Got Gossip?

Share your gossip!
Email us.

Subscribe

Add to My AOL

Subscribe in Bloglines

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Need More Gossip Fix?

Daily Celeb
Egotastic
E! Online
Entertainment Tonight
Gawker
Go Fug Yourself
I'm Not Obsessed
Malibu
Perez Hilton
Pink is the New Blog
Pop Sugar
Radar Online
SirLinksaLot: The Bachelor
Superficial Girls
The Superficial

Previous Posts

Jessica Simpson and John Mayer Kaput?
Ousted Amazing Racers Talk
Newsstand Friday: In Touch Weekly
Newsstand Friday: Life and Style Magazine
Newsstand Friday: Entertainment Weekly
Newsstand Friday: TV Guide Magazine
Newsstand Friday: Star Magazine
Newsstand Friday: OK! Magazine
Newsstand Friday: US Magazine
Things Get Dirty in Anne Heche Divorce

Archives

September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
March 2010

Contributors

Annie
Madison

Bloglighted Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Celebrities Blogs - Blog Top Sites

BlogRankers.com

Powered by Blogger

Official Celebrity Sites

Adam Sandler
Ashlee Simpson
Britney Spears
Brooke Burke
Carmen Electra
Christina Aguilera
Eva Longoria
Donald Trump
Gwen Stefani
Halle Berry
Jackie Chan
Janet Jackson
Jennifer Hudson
Jennifer Lopez
Jessica Biel
Jessica Simpson
Justin Timberlake
Kimberly Williams-Paisley
Nick Lachey
Madonna
Mandy Moore
Mandy Moore's MySpace
Mariah Carey
Marilyn Manson
Mario Lopez
Mariska Hargitay
Pamela Anderson
Paris Hilton
Paula Abdul
Rosie O'Donnell
Suzanne Somers
Shanna Moakler
Shanna Moakler's MySpace
Vanessa Minnillo
Wilmer Valderrama

Bed Bug

Friday, May 18, 2007

Cover Girl: Debra Messing on Redbook

Actress Debra Messing is on the cover of the June issue of Redbook magazine, looking as gorgeous as ever. She is set to star in the movie The Starter Wife, with filming taking place in Australia.

Do people still think of you as Grace?
Absolutely. But now, I'm hearing more, "That's Debra Messing!" as I pass people on the street. Before, it was always, "There's Grace!"

So strangers really think they know you?
I've had moments when people are coming toward me with outstretched arms and I'm thinking, Is this my third cousin who I haven't seen in years? And then I realize, No, I don't know this person! At first, it scared me.

How were you able to put Grace away?
I don't think she'll ever go away. The last season was traumatic because we knew it was ending, so the anticipation of saying good-bye was drawn out and both painful and exhausting. It was almost a relief when it was over. I went to Cape Cod with my family and relaxed. And I did not want to work for six months.

When did The Starter Wife come about?
Three months later. My agents sent me the script and said, "Just read it." I wasn't ready. And I'd never read the book. But I read it, and it was so smart and funny, I was compelled to do it. It shines a light on an ugly subculture of society that resonates well beyond Hollywood. Molly starts off as a successful mother and wife of a hotshot Hollywood executive, but gets no acknowledgment for her role as an equal partner. There is no validation, no awareness anywhere that her contribution is equally as valuable. So what at first seemed to me to be a limited, exclusive group of people quickly became universal. Very quickly larger themes rose to the top. She's 40 and single for the first time in more than a decade. She has to identify herself all over again

Does the series differ from the book?
[She looks at me with mock sternness, her Kewpie doll eyes narrowing to slits.] Yes. The ending in particular, but I'm not going to tell you how.

You're 38 and happily married, but you live and work in a culture that places so much emphasis on looks. Did you relate to that side of Molly? Absolutely. I still feel like a complete outsider in Beverly Hills. And yet, even though I was the dork from New York who wore Birkenstocks instead of Prada high heels, I was invited into the club because of luck and other circumstances. I mean, look at my shoes! [She kicks one foot up in the air, waggling her boot at me.] I'm wearing motorcycle boots. Black clodhoppers. [She is. They're black and bulky with buckles up the side.] If I wore these in L.A., people would scream and run the other way! They are not Manolos.

Have you met these women, the wives of Hollywood executives? In L.A., celebrity is valued more than it should be. So I'm invited regularly to charity luncheons where all the "wives of" are in attendance. They're expected to be there. And you very quickly see the unwritten laws of that world. There's an appropriate way to dress, to have your hair, and a required thinness. It's basically a cultivated casualness that's hard-earned, and it's expensive.

So when Molly talks about her weekly regimen, from the cellulite massages...
[Debra leans forward to the edge of her seat and jumps in to finish my sentence.
...To the waxing and highlights and laser treatments and plucking! The upkeep is par for the course in that world. The "wives of" have to maintain themselves in the same way that professional actors do: out of necessity. It's their job. But no matter what you do, you cannot tackle aging. At some point, nature is going to win. And in that world, that usually means you'll be traded in for a younger model.

In what other ways were you able to relate to Molly's character?
I was married to Will & Grace for eight years. So like Molly, I was starting a new chapter. There was a level of confusion about identity, and I asked myself similar questions: Who have I been? Who do I want to be? What life do I want to live?

So what life are you wanting to live these days? I've heard several different rumors -- that you're moving back to New York, that you were pregnant again....
[Debra throws her head back and lets out a huge belly laugh.]
That was the worst! One year after I gave birth, I hadn't lost all my baby weight. People were like...
[She drops her voice down to a whisper and looks covertly both ways as she leans in toward me.]
"She's pregnant." And I was like, "Nope -- I'm just fat!" I'm not one of those girls who can lose all that weight in six weeks, and by the way, who are those people?
[At this moment, I realize that while I have a Pellegrino, Debra has nothing. And for the record, she has lost all the baby fat. I ask if she'd like to order anything. She peruses the menu.]
Do you want to share something? Like a pizza or a salad?"
["Anything," I tell her, secretly hoping she'll order the pizza. She does.]

What about the rumor that you and your husband, screenwriter Daniel Zelman, are moving to Manhattan?
That's been circulating for years because as soon as I arrived in L.A., I wanted to move back to New York. And now we're here for a while because my husband wrote a TV drama for FX that was shot in New York. Of course, Murphy's Law, his shooting schedule here overlapped with the time I needed to be in Australia, mid-October to mid-February. He's in editing right now, so now that I'm back in the states, we know the family has to be together. It doesn't matter where. That is it. [She hits the arm of her chair for effect.] Roman and I got on a plane so that we can all have breakfast together before Dada goes to work. We need to have a bit of normalcy because the last few months have not been normal for our family.

So for the past four months, you and Daniel dealt with a long-distance marriage. That must have been hard, especially with a 3-year-old!
We've been together for 16 years, and the longest I've been away from Daniel prior to this was three weeks. And not only apart, but we were on other sides of the world -- like, "What time is it there?" "The next day!" Thank God for iChat. Plus, I was on the set 16 to 18 hours every day. It was the most grueling work experience ever. Out of the four months of shooting days, I had one day off.

Aren't there labor laws against that?
I know! I was like, "Wait a second! This is inhumane!" But this is what actors do! Financial constraints mean that you work intense hours in faraway places for short amounts of time. This challenged every muscle: acting, mothering, wife, friends, and family. I had no time.

Was Roman with you or with his dad?
Roman was with me the entire time. And the nanny was in Australia with us, too. But Roman grew up on the set of Will & Grace. He came to the set with me every day, so he's used to being in that world.

That says so much about the working environment of Will & Grace.
Yes, it was a family set. He calls Megan [Mullaly] "Meggy" and Jim Burrows, the iconic TV director, "Papa Jimmy." It was great because the shooting schedule of a sitcom is so conducive to family life. I would be home at 4 p.m. every day.

So you never felt like you were missing out on the experience of being a mother?
Not one bit. I breast-fed Roman for 14 months, took a bath with him every night, and put him to sleep. And I was grateful for it. I know that not all mothers have that privilege because of the hours they work.

Did you know The Starter Wife was going to be shot in Australia?
Silly me, I read a script about a woman who lives in L.A. and then moves to Malibu and I thought, Great! I will be able to go home every night! When they started talking about Australia, I almost turned it down. When you think that you're not going to have much upheaval and that you're going to be able to maintain consistency with your family life, and then you can't, it is a messy thing. And hard. But Daniel and I had a sit-down and realized we've been spoiled. I had the equivalent of a 9-to-5 job for eight years, which isn't normal for working actors. They go where the work is. We realized, if it's not this project, then it will be the next, so why not make this the family experiment?

Is that how you two make all big family decisions? Sit-downs?
Yes. We look at situations from every angle, knowing that our family always comes first.

How did you meet Daniel?
On our first day of grad school at NYU [New York University]. We were two of 15 people! We had 70 hours of class a week for three years.

Did you fall for each other immediately?
No. We were just classmates. And then we did Romeo and Juliet together. That was my attempt to get him alone. And it worked.

And yet you're doing a show about a woman who truly finds herself after the dissolution of her marriage. Do you and Daniel allow each other to grow as individuals within your marriage?
We attempt to every day. But I'm not one to give out marriage advice. Circumstance has so much to do with whether or not your relationship survives and evolves. Daniel and I are very different -- he's levelheaded, whereas I'm more the fiery, emotional one. But over the years, we've grown to be more alike.

So you're the one asking, "But what if?" and he responds, "We'll do this"?
Yes. But don't get me wrong -- it's work every day. It's sacrifice and compromise. Life is hard, and it's no in our human nature to compromise quickly and easily. It's something you have to want to learn how to do.

You got noticed pretty early in your career. For example, you were chosen as young Ms. Rhode Island.
[Debra was awarded Rhode Island's Junior Miss title in 1986. When I mention it, she slinks down in her chair and her eyes widen in mock horror.] We're not talking about that.

But I love that fact! From that to finally winning the Emmy after... 100 years!
[She nearly shouts in exaggerated exasperation, then bursts out laughing.]

More like six years.
I was nominated for six Golden Globes and never won, and two Emmys before I finally won. Every time Daniel and I were in the limo on our way to an awards ceremony, I'd ask him, "Do you think I'm going to win?" And he'd say, "No."
[She's doubled over laughing now, eyes wide and shiny.]
I adore Sarah Jessica Parker, but I was always up against her. And she was winning everything.

Do you think it was because Carrie had better shoes than Grace did?
She had better shoes, better hair. That girl had it all. So I'd ask Daniel, "Who do you think is going to win?" And he'd say, "Sarah Jessica Winner." That was our nickname for her. We had a very healthy attitude about the whole thing. We knew it was ridiculous to be invited to those things to begin with, like, who ever would have thought?

That you'd get picked up in a limo and dressed by designers like Armani?
Yes! For years, Daniel and I lived in New York and went to Dojo, a supercheap Japanese restaurant, for our big night out.

What don't you miss from Will & Grace?
I like not having my day structured. I like not knowing where I'll be on a Tuesday nine months from now. As terrifying as that is for a control freak like me, it's also totally liberating. I could be in Africa! Or in New York!

And how has being a mom changed your life?
I feel like a different person. To see the world through a child's perspective, where everything is wondrous, is the miracle of children. You get to bear witness to their discovery of the world. And it's an hourly thing. Three is an amazing age, and then add boy to it! The energy is out of control. And just when you think it might dissipate, he just pumps up the volume a little bit more.

And you also get to go to Wiggles concerts.
We saw The Wiggles in Australia! And of course I know every word to every song. We're groupies.

What's been the biggest surprise for you about being a parent?
I remember the first few months after I gave birth, I was enraged that my closest friends and family did not tell me how hard it was. I said, "Obviously it's a miracle and I love my child, but why didn't you tell me how exhausted I was going to be? And how difficult the hormonal changes are?" And they all said, "If we told you the truth, you wouldn't want to do it."

That's why kids are so cute.
Exactly. Otherwise you'd just hand them off to a bear in the woods![And on that note, she pulls on her coat, grabs Roman's guitar, and is off. As she whisks through the hotel lobby, her trench coat literally floating behind her, one skinny, shaggy-haired rocker says to the other, "Is that Debra Messing?"]

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home